Tuesday, August 19, 2014

Welcome Letter 2014

Welcome to Kindergarten!

My name is Megan Kearney and I am very excited to have your child in my class this year! We will be having so much fun over the year and will be learning many new things. I’m very excited to begin the school year and look forward to getting to know you, your child, and all the other children and families in my class.

About Me
            Before we get into information about kindergarten, let me tell you a little about myself. I am originally from Adel, Iowa, a small town just west of Des Moines. I graduated from Adel-De Soto-Minburn High School in 2008 and then attended Northwest Missouri State University. While at Northwest, I majored in Elementary Education and minored in Early Childhood Education. I also took classes to obtain an Iowa Reading Endorsement. In the fall of 2012, I student taught in the Waukee School District. While there, I was able to teach in kindergarten and in fifth grade. I graduated from Northwest Missouri State in December of 2012 and then was a substitute teacher for Adel-De Soto-Minburn during the spring of 2013. I began teaching kindergarten in Clarinda last fall. This will be my second year of teaching. When I am not teaching, I enjoy shopping, cooking, watching Iowa Hawkeye Football, and spending time with my family and friends. This year, I will also be spending quite a bit of time planning my wedding, which will be held in June!

Communication
            Each month I will send home a classroom newsletter, usually one of the first few days of the month. This will let you know what has happened over the previous month and what will be happening in our classroom over the next month. I will also try to send home reminders about special events or things needed for school. I also send out emails when needed and email pictures and reminders throughout the month. This year, I also have a classroom blog. This will contain newsletters, reminders, pictures, and updates about what is going on in the classroom. This is the link for the blog: http://misskearneyskids.blogspot.com/ . This blog also allows you to follow the blog by email and any time I update the blog, you will receive an email. To do this, type in and submit your email address in the box on the right side of the blog website. You can also get to my blog by going through the school website and clicking on the Garfield Staff page. Next to my name, there is a link that takes you right to my blog!

Behavior
            I’m trying out a new behavior policy in my classroom this year. On the chalkboard in our classroom, there are 6 posters that list 6 “rules” the students will follow. Each rule has its own color. When a student breaks a rule, they will put that colored stick in their designated pocket. Depending on the number of sticks, there is a consequence that occurs with the number of sticks moved. If a student does not move any sticks, or obtains the star stick for amazing behavior, they will be able to put 1 or more stickers on their sticker chart. After their sticker chart is filled, they will get to choose a prize from the prize box. If a student moves three or more sticks in a day, a note will be sent home listing which rules were not followed. I will NOT send a note home about their behavior unless 3 or more sticks are moved in a day, or there are any other problems that have happened. Students will be given more warnings in the beginning of the year before I have them move a stick, but as the year goes on, I will expect better behavior and will not give as many warnings. If you ever have a question or concern about your child’s behavior, please feel free to contact me!

Birthdays
            On your child’s birthday, you are more than welcome to bring in treats for the class. We will have treats during our snack time in the afternoon. The school handbook requests NO HOMEMADE TREATS. You many bring prepackaged items or items prepared in the grocery store bakery. We will celebrate summer birthdays on the student’s half birthday.
            If you plan to have a birthday party outside of school and want to send invitations to school to be handed out, you MUST invite every student in the class, or invite all of the boys, or all of the girls. If you want to invite only a few students from the class, you must mail the invitations.

Class Schedule
            I will send out a classroom schedule with the August Newsletter. This way we can try out our schedule to see how it goes and I can make changes where necessary before I decide on a set schedule. The school schedule will be different than it has in years past. We will run on basically an 8 day schedule but they will be named like this: Day 1, Day 2, Day 3, Day A, Day 4, Day 5, Day 6, and Day B. On days A and B, your child will attend two specials instead of one. On the numbered days, your child will only attend one special. To get used to this new schedule, I will send home a calendar listing what specials will be each day. We recommend that your child wear tennis shoes on P.E. days.

Dismissal Time
            Our dismissal time is 3:10. If your child will be picked up or walks with older siblings, you or the older siblings MUST come pick them up in the classroom. It is easiest to park in the north parking lot and come in the north doors to our hallway. The north doors will not be unlocked until 3:10. Once unlocked, please come to our classroom to pick up your child! If the door is closed, please wait until I open it to come in and get your child. Thanks!

Transportation Changes, Illness, Appointments
            If your child will be having a change with the way they go home or will be leaving school during the day for an appointment, please send me an email or send a note to school. Any changes that need to be made during the day, please call the school office as soon as you can. If your child will be staying home from school because of an illness, please call the school office. If possible, please also send me an email.

I’m looking forward to a great year with you and your child!


Miss Megan Kearney